Mathematics A level at Sharnbrook Academy
If you feel you have a logical mind, enjoy a challenge and want to explore maths in diverse and thought provoking ways, this course is for you.
A variety of topics including:
- Calculus (integration and differentiation) - Advanced algebra
- Probability - Statistics
- Mechanics - Numerical methods
- Problem solving using mathematical models - Differential equations
All students must meet the minimum entry requirements which are:
- a minimum of five GCSE passes at A* to C, plus mathematics and English language at level 4 or above.
- ECDL or an equivalent IT course where studied. Please note that, where a student wishes to take at least one A level course and has level 2 BTEC qualifications, those level 2 BTEC qualifications can only count for up to a maximum of two of the required GCSE passes at A* to C, or mathematics and English language at level 4 or above.
This course is for able mathematicians, with a genuine interest and desire to broaden and extend their knowledge in both applied and abstract mathematics.
In addition to the general entrance requirements, the department requires a Grade 6 in GCSE mathematics and a grade B at GCSE science. All students will be expected to pass a skills test within the first two weeks of starting the A level course to ensure that they are fluent in the necessary algebra and arithmetic skills for coping with this course. We will provide resources to help students maintain and improve these skills over the summer break.
The ideal candidate will be hardworking, feel confident with algebra and will have enjoyed all aspects of mathematics at GCSE.
Three modules will be taken in June of both Year 12 and Year 13.
You will need a scientific calculator. Graphic calculators will be useful but are not necessary for the AS and A2 level courses.
Mathematics at this level is an essential requirement for courses in higher education in the field of mathematics, and advised for physical and chemical sciences and engineering. It can also be used to support many other A Level subjects such as computing and biological sciences.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Sharnbrook Academy directly.