Physical Education A level at Sharnbrook Academy
'The vision of a champion is someone who is bent over, drenched in sweat, at the point of exhaustion when no-one is watching' Anson Dorrance
The course is for students with a genuine proven interest and involvement in sport during their school career to date. GCSE physical education as a background is desirable but not essential.
All students must meet the minimum entry requirements which are:
- a minimum of five GCSE passes at A* to C, plus mathematics and English language at level 4 or above.
- ECDL or an equivalent IT course where studied. Please note that, where a student wishes to take at least one A level course and has level 2 BTEC qualifications, those level 2 BTEC qualifications can only count for up to a maximum of two of the required GCSE passes at A* to C, or mathematics and English language at level 4 or above.
In addition to the general entrance requirements, the department expects grade C and above in science – and you must have an appreciation that the course is mainly theoretical. If a student has studied GCSE PE, then a grade B or above is required to access this course.
The course is linear and all assessments take place at the end of year 13, there are 2 written exams and also the assessment of practical performance.
- 2 examination papers (paper 1 and paper 2), both 2 hours long
- Assessment in one practical activity, plus written/verbal analysis of performance.
- The coursework makes up 30% of the overall grade.
- Sports Science/Studies
- Sports related Physiotherapy
- Leisure Management
- Sports Psychology courses
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Sharnbrook Academy directly.