Land Based Studies (Horticulture) - Level 1 - Plumpton at Plumpton College
This is a practical based qualification that is specifically aimed at providing a solid foundation for the many aspects of horticulture.
- Safe and effective working practices in land-based industries
- Team work and working alone in land-based industries
- Identify plants
- Propagation of plants
- Establishment of Plants
- Maintenance of Plants
- Establishment and maintenance of Turf
- Literacy and Numeracy development
2 X E (Level 2) or F (Level 1) at GCSE or Equivalent
Mature students will be assessed for suitability on an individual basis at interview.
- 16-18 exempt
- 16-18 exempt
- Cost for day students- £120 per year
- Cost for residential students- £200 per year
The facility fee is applicable to all our full time FE students and this is paid annually before you arrive for your enrolment and induction. This fee assists in providing non-educational facilities which include security, sports amenities, membership of the Sports and Social Club, minibuses, Wi Fi access, television room, on-site medical support and free car parking subject to availability.
This course could lead you on to:
- Level 2 Diploma Horticulture
- Level 2 Diploma Practical Horticulture Skills (Hard Landscaping)
- Level 1 Traineeships
- Level 2 apprenticeships
- Gardening assistant
- Nursery assistant
- Garden centre assistant
- Turf care assistant
Course duration is 3 days per week plus 1 day of work experience for 1 year.
Our horticulture facilities at Plumpton are pretty impressive. In fact you’ll get to experience one of the finest natural locations in the country, perfect for developing your creativity. Whether indoors or outdoors, you’ll be able to build your skills in an excellent environment.
- Discover our extensively planted areas on-site at Plumpton
As you build your knowledge, you’ll be able to gain a wide experience of being able to identify and maintain different plants.
- Experience our endangered plant collections at first hand
You’ll be able to experience our Black Poplars and National collection of Hebes, in addition to our endangered plant network connection with Kew Gardens.
- Grow plants all year round here
We’ve got an excellent large area under glass where you’ll be able to grow plants without the risk of the weather, up to a commercial level.
- Build even more skills at Plumpton
You’ll be able to develop your brickwork skills and paving at our large landscaping centre.
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.