Design Technology: Food Technology at Mark Rutherford School
Design and Technology: Food Technology seeks to develop students’ knowledge, understanding, skills and application for designing food products as well as to develop a student’s ability to produce food products that are fit for purpose, satisfy wants or nee ds, and enhance our day - to - day lives. This course also gives students the opportunity to demonstrate their design and technology capability.
Development of skills in planning, research, analysis, product development, project planning and evaluation is em bedded in the curriculum. The course is designed to provide opportunities for students to develop their creativity, capability and entrepreneurial skills; to apply knowledge and understanding to a range of technological activities and to develop critical t hinking and collaborative skills.
Aims of the Course:
- to make use of tacit knowledge and reflective practices in order to work with tasks that are challenging and often require definition
- to develop and sustain students’ creativity and innovative practice
- to recognise and overcome challenges and constraints when working towards the production of high - quality products
- to develop a critical understanding of the influences of the processes and products of design and technological activities from a contemporary and historical perspective
- to draw on a range of skills and knowledge from other subject areas
- to draw on and apply knowledge, understanding and skills of production processes to a range of design and technology activities
- to develop an understanding of contemporary design and technology practices
- to use digital technologies and information handling skills to enhance design and technological capability
Minimum two year course entry requirements apply. Students should normally have grade B in a GCSE Design and Technology subject and a C in Science. S tudents who have not previously studied th e subject will be considered. Good orga nisational skills are essential.
AS Unit 6FT 01 – 60% of AS. Coursework, marked by teachers and moderated by the exam board.
AS Unit 6 FT 02 – 4 0% of AS. Written examination.
A2 Unit 6 FT 03 – 40% of A2. Written examination.
A2 Unit 6 FT 04 – 60% of A2. Coursework, marked by t eachers and moderated by the exam board.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Mark Rutherford School directly.