Sport and Physical Activity BTEC at Francis Combe Academy
The course is suitable for students who want to gain a level 3 qualification to support further study in Further Education (FE) or to progress to Higher Education (HE) In Sport and Physical Activity, or for career aspirations in the sport and physical activity sector.
The course has 5 mandatory units that have to be completed, and then we have the flexibility to cater for our students depending on the pathways they wish to continue after the course:
- Body systems and the effects of physical activity (externally assessed)
- Sports coaching and activity leadership (internally assessed)
- Sports organisation and development (externally assessed)
- Working safely in sport, exercise, health and leisure (externally assessed)
- Physical activity for specific groups (internally assessed)
Optional units (all internally assessed):
- Performance analysis in sport and exercise
- Group exercise to music
- Improving fitness for sport and physical activity
- Organisation of sports events
- Biomechanics and movement analysis
- Nutrition and diet for sport and exercise
- Health and fitness testing for sport and exercise
- Sports injuries and rehabilitation
- Practical skills in sport and physical activities
- Sport and exercise psychology
General entry requirement for a 2 year programme of vocational courses is a mostly C/D grade profile at GCSE.
Each unit is individually assessed, either internally or externally.
Internal assessments are carried out by the teacher and then moderated by the course leader, these are coursework based assessments.
The external assessments are in the exams which are marked and moderated by the exam board at certain times during the course.
- Sports Coaching
- Personal Training
- Sports Developments
Progression to University: Examples of degrees that you could progress to:
- Health, Nutrition and Exercise (Sandwich)
- Sport, Health & Exercise Sciences
- Management of Sport Exercise
- Health and Fitness Management
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Francis Combe Academy directly.