Physics A Level at Thomas Mills High School
You will integrate the concepts studied with a range of practical experiments throughout each topic giving the course both an academic and practical focus. You will learn to apply your knowledge of the key concepts to solve problems in a range of different contexts and applications.
- OCR Physics A is a well-established course built on many years of experience, covering the knowledge and understanding necessary to progress to STEM degrees and careers.
- Incorporates both Astrophysics and Medical Imaging.
- Physics is one of the top three A Levels in terms of eligibility for degree entry
The modules can be summarised as:
• Module 1:
Development of practical skills
(Including skills of planning, implementing, analysis and evaluation)
• Module 2:
Foundations of physics
(Including physical quantities and units, making measurements and analysing data and the nature of quantities).
• Module 3: Forces and motion (Including motion, forces in action, Work, energy, power, materials, Newton’s laws of motion and momentum)
• Module 4: Electrons, waves, and photons (Including charge and current, energy, power, resistance, electrical circuits, waves and Quantum physics).
• Module 5: Newtonian world and astrophysics (Including thermal physics, circular motion,
oscillations, gravitational fields and astrophysics).
• Module 6: Particles and medical physics (Including capacitors, electric fields, electromagnetism, nuclear and particle physics and medical imaging).
- Paper 1 Modelling Physics, 2hr 15mins, assesses content from Modules 1, 2, 3 and 5 –37%
- Paper 2 Exploring Physics, 2hr 15mins,assesses content from Modules 1, 2, 4 and 6
- Paper 3 Unified Physics, 1hr 30mins, assesses content from Modules 1 to 6.
- Practical Endorsement, no exam, reported separately as Pass/Fail
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Thomas Mills High School directly.