Biology A Level at Preston Manor School
This is an interesting subject offering students the opportunity to learn about living organisms, how they work and interact with each other. There are four theory units and two practical skills units.
Specification structure as follows:
Year 12 Content
- Module 1: Development of Practical Skills in Biology
- Module 2: Foundations in Biology
- Module 3: Exchange and Transport
- Module 4: Biodiversity, Evolution and Disease
Year 13 Content
- Module 5: Communication, Homeostasis and Energy
- Module 6: Genetics, Evolution and Ecosystems
Triple Biology B+ or Core Science and Additional Science B+, Maths 5, English 5
Year 13 Assessment (includes assessment of Year 12 Content)
Three written exams, covering material from Year 12 and Year 13:
- Biological Processes (37%) ‐ modules 1, 2, 3 and 5
- Biological Diversity (37%) ‐ modules 1, 2, 4 and 6
- Unified Biology (26%) ‐ all six modules
Practical skills will be continuously assessed throughout the course, with successful students receiving a separate result for this. This is a non exam assessment.
After this course students can study Biology and Pure and Applied Sciences at University. For example: Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy or Veterinary Science. With major advances occurring in the in the fields of Microbiology, Biotechnology, and Genetics there are also increasing job opportunities.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Preston Manor School directly.