Chemistry A Level at Preston Manor School
Chemistry is a dynamic and stimulating subject. As well as learning subject skills, students develop their problem solving, mathematical, research and practical skills. The course develops essential knowledge and understanding of Chemistry and the practical skills necessary for Science‐based university courses.
Year 12 Content
- Module 1 Development of Practical Skills in Chemistry
- Module 2 Foundations in Chemistry
- Module 3 Periodic Table and Energy
- Module 4 Core Organic Chemistry
Year 13 Content
Students will study organic, inorganic and physical Chemistry in greater depth. The use of spectroscopy to elucidate the structure of molecules and the use of quantitative Chemistry are particularly emphasised.
- Module 5 Physical Chemistry and Transition Elements
- Module 6 Organic Chemistry and Analysis
Maths: 5, English; 5, Core Science: B+, Additional Science: B+, Triple Chemistry B+
Three written exams at the end of the second year covering material from Year 12 and Year 13:
- Periodic Table, Elements and Physical Chemistry (37%) ‐ modules 1, 2, 3 and 5
- Synthesis and Analytical Techniques (37%) ‐ modules 1, 2, 4 and 6
- Unified Chemistry (26%) ‐ all six modules
Practical skills will be continuously assessed throughout the course, with successful students receiving a separate result for this. This is a non exam assessment.
The course is very relevant for entry into the fields of Medicine, Dentistry, Veterinary Science, Engineering and Pure Sciences.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Preston Manor School directly.