Health & Social Care OCR Level 3 Cambridge Technical Diploma at Harris Academy Battersea
Health and Social Care is a unique subject and course that gives students opportunities to examine different people in society and learn and practice skills that are essential when transitioning into adult life.
The course combines exam skills and coursework to develop understanding on a range of topics relating to health and social care contexts and society, such as: diversity, personalisation, nutrition, health and wellbeing, and many more. The course hones in on specific health and social care services, and exactly how professionals in the sector provide different standards of care and adapts their care for different individuals.
Although a relatively new course, the Cambridge Technical course is already highly respected by universities and employers and works to give students confidence in their abilities, improve English writing and speaking skills and overall gain a better understanding of health and social issues currently across the UK, and the world.
OCR describes the course below:
“Your students will apply their practical skills and knowledge in preparation for further study, Higher Education or the workplace.
Designed in collaboration with experts spanning the breadth of the
sector, the Cambridge Technicals in Health and Social Care focuses on the skills, knowledge and understanding that today’s universities and employers demand.”
Enrichment opportunities include:
- Taster Days at universities
- Work experience opportunities
- Guest speakers
Students often study Health and Social Care alongside: Biology, chemistry, sociology, psychology or drama.
Taught in Year 1:
- Unit 1: Building positive relationships in health and social care
- Unit 2: Equality, Diversity and Rights
- Unit 3: Health, Safety and Security in Health and Social Care
- Unit 5: Infection control
- Unit 6: Personalisation and the person-centred approach
- Unit 7: Safeguarding
Taught in Year 2:
- Unit 4: Anatomy and physiology for health and social care
- Unit 9: Supporting people with disabilities
- Unit 10: Nutrition for Health
- Unit 12: Promoting positive behaviour
- Unit 13: Sexual health, reproduction and early developmental stages
- Unit 15: Promoting health and wellbeing
- 4 x examinations
- 2 x coursework
- 1 x examination
- 5 x coursework
Appropriate for undergraduate study and can lead to successful careers in:
- Health care
- Nursery working
- Social Work
What our students say:
“Health and Social care gives me the opportunity to learn about different cases in society relating to health and social care.”
“I like health and social care because we learn about current issues and learn skills that will help in any career I decide to pursue.”
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Harris Academy Battersea directly.