Religion, Philosophy & Ethics A Level at Exmouth Community College
Religion, Philosophy and Ethics A-Level is taught by an outstanding department of hard-working and committed teachers.
This course will provide you with an opportunity to ask and consider all of the ‘big questions’ that people often wonder about.
- Philosophy – You will consider big questions like ‘is there a God’? and study Ancient Philosophical thinkers such as Plato and Aristotle.
- Ethics – You will question what is right and wrong from both a religious and secular perspective. You will study modern contemporary issues such as Sexual Ethics.
- Buddhism – You will have the exciting opportunity to explore Eastern Philosophy and the origins of Buddhism in depth.
The normal College requirement to get a place on these courses is five GCSEs at 4 or above INCLUDING Maths and English equivalent, or 280 points.
You do not have to have studied the full course GCSE to take this subject.
Exam Board: OCR
Higher Education: All major universities (including Russell Group) offer both Philosophy and Theology/Religious Studies as full degrees.
Philosophy and Theology are two of the oldest, most respected subjects you can study.
Many current writers, teachers, lawyers, politicians studied Philosophy until at least degree level. For example:
- Ricky Gervais (Philosophy)
- David Cameron (Philosophy, Politics, Economics)
- Bill Clinton (Philosophy, Politics, Economics)
- Miles Jupp (Divinity)
In recent years, we have had students go off to study PPE at Oxford and in London and other students studying Philosophy at Birmingham, Exeter, Cardiff and Liverpool.
“It is not just learning a new religion like at GCSE, it is about a whole new culture, which is great.”
“A further, fun insight into the wonders of Philosophy.”
“A lively happy class—it is more like a friendship group that you just happen to talk about religion....not Church though!”
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Exmouth Community College directly.