Theatre Studies A Level at Ilkley Grammar School
The aim of the course is to inspire students to become independent theatre makers with the skills they need to go on to higher education, whether that is to study a course in drama and theatre or another subject.
Theatre Makers in Practice 40%
- Live Theatre Review.
- Interpretation and direction of a set text.
- Performance concept for a different set text linked to a key practitioner.
Text in Performance 20%
- Group performance of one key extract from a performance text informed by the methodology of one influential practitioner.
- Monologue or Duologue performance of a key extract from a different performance text.
- Group devised piece linked to the work of one practitioner.
- Portfolio about the process.
General entry requirement for Post-16: 5 grade 4/C at GCSE, preferably including English and Maths. Specific entry requirements: Grade 4 for GCSE Drama (if taken) and 4 for English.
2 ½ hr written exam – Extracts of set texts give.
Open book & Theatre Review notes allowed.
Group Performance 36 marks
Monologue/Duologue 24 marks
Portfolio 60 marks
Devised Performance 20 marks
Students of Edexcel Drama and Theatre develop skills that are not just essential for drama but applicable to a wide range of higher education subjects and in the workplace.
This specification refines students' collaborative skills, their analytical thinking and their approach to research.
Students grow in confidence and maturity as they successfully realise their own ideas. They learn to evaluate objectively and develop a sound appreciation of the influences that cultural and social contexts can have on decision making.
Whatever the future holds, students of AS and A Level Drama and Theatre emerge with a toolkit of transferable skills preparing them for their next steps.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Ilkley Grammar School directly.