Latin (Cambridge Pre-U) at Simon Langton Grammar School for Boys
STUDIED AT SIMON LANGTON GIRLS’ SCHOOL SITE
Outline of the Course
- Reading of a range of authors in Year 12 to improve fluency & understanding of Roman literature
- Unseen translation practice throughout the course and consolidation of grammar in Year 12
- Prose composition – learning to translate from English to Latin (from the start of Year 12)
- Reading the ‘paired texts’: Virgil Aeneid Book 10 and Lucan Civil War Book 1, beginning in Year 12
- Reading the set prose text - Cicero: First Speech against Catiline, beginning in term 5 of Year 12
- Learning commentary and essay skills throughout the course
Type of assessment
Examination: Verse literature - Virgil & Horace – paired texts
2hrs 15 mins
Examination: Prose Literature - Cicero
1hr 30 mins
Examination: Unseen translation (Latin to English in prose & verse)
Examination: Prose Composition (English to Latin) or Comprehension
1 hr 30 mins
Grade 7 in GCSE Latin guarantees a place on this course.
Please note that applicants must also meet our overall entry requirements of 8 GCSE passes at grade 9 - 5.
There will be a presentation on this course at our Sixth Form Open Evening in February.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Simon Langton Grammar School for Boys directly.