Level 1 Award in Practical Horticulture Skills at Leeds City College
This 1 year programme commences in September. You will gain practical experience within the Land based industry. Using both practical and theory aspects to develop your skills and underpinning knowledge to work within the Land based industry.
The areas of study are:
- Prepare ground for dowing or planting under supervision
- Plant container grown subjects
- Prepare soil and apply organic mulch
- Water a bed, border or area of plants in containers
- Cultivate land by single digging or forking
- Apply fertiliser by hand to bare ground
- Determine soil pH with colour and indicator test kit under supervision
- Plant flower bulbs for naturalisation or bedding
- Prepare and plant a hanging basket
- Prepare and plant a container for display
- Care for a planted area
- Support individual stems
- Sow seeds outdoors in drills by hand and sow seeds indoors in containers
- Prick out seedlings singly
- Propagate by stem cuttings
- Put up rooted cuttings, large seedlings or plugs by hand
- Set out pots, modules or trays following potting or pricking out
- Aerate turf by hand
- Edge turf with shears
- Scarify turf by hand
- Sow grass seed by hand
- Maintain hand tools
- Identify trees and shrubs
- Identify weeds
- Identify annuals and herbaceous perennials
- Assess soil texture condition
3 GCSE's at Grade 1 or above and must include English and Maths
It is a requirement that students who wish to enrol onto a full time programme attend group tutorials and Functional Skills/GCSE sessions as part of their study programme. Students will study English and/or Maths unless they already habe a GCSE Grade 4+ in those subjects. If they have a GCSE Grade 3 in the subject they will re-sit their GCSE.
You will be assessed in various methods.
Contact us for information.
Grounds person, Garden centre assistant, Gardener, Nursery assistant.
You could progress to a Level 2 Horticulture portfolio or assignment based qualification. You may also wish to consider study in a different discipline. The Level 2 Countryside and Environment progammes will broaden your employability by giving you additional skills which many employers are now seeking.
All learners on Land Based programmes are required to wear a standard uniform and also PPE for practical work in the form of steel toe capped boots and overalls. You will also be required in addition to wear ear defenders, a visor and/or eye protection as required when using machinery.
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.