Applied Science Level 3 Extended Certificate at Preston Manor School
The Applied Science course provides a high‐level of academic education combined with the development of a wide range of practical of practical skills and allows opportunities for students to apply their subject knowledge to real‐world situations. Taking this Applied Science course would be a beneficial stepping stone for any students progressing on from the GCSE Applied Science course.
Year 12 Content
- Unit 1 Key Concepts in Science (externally assessed written examination)
- Unit 2 Applied Analytical Techniques (internally assessed assignments)
- Unit 3 Science in the Modern World (internally assessed assignments)
Year 13 Content
- Unit 1 Human Body (externally assessed written examination)
- Unit 2 Investigating Science (internally assessed assignments)
- Unit 3 Microbiology (internally assessed assignments)
In both years, students will learn important scientific skills. They will be able to:
- Demonstrate and relate the importance of scientific techniques and theories to everyday science (e.g. science in organisations)
- Apply the knowledge, skills and understanding by explaining and interpretation of data in terms of scientific principles and concepts.
- Carry out practical tasks and plan and carry out investigations in which they choose safe and appropriate strategies. Use appropriate equipment to record and analyse relevant scientific data.
- Evaluate data and methods and present their conclusions.
4 GCSE Grades at C+/ Level 4+ ‐ INCLUDING: GCSE Double Science (including either Additional, Applied or Alternative science qualifications, GNVQ Intermediate Science) Merit grade or BTEC First Diploma in Science Merit grade. Plus three C+/ Level 4+ grades including GCSE Mathematics grade 4+ AND GCSE English Lan‐ guage Grade 4+.
This Level 3 qualification provides a good background for students wishing to progress to university to study a science‐based course such as biomedical science, genetics, biochemistry, forensic science, material science, midwifery, nursing, alternative medicine or radiography.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Preston Manor School directly.