Uniformed Public Services BTEC Extended Diploma at Shirley High School Performing Arts College
This two year course, valued both by employers and universities, aims to equip students with the skills to apply for a variety of public services whilst gaining an insight into many aspects of the job.
All students will study the following Core Units:
- Government, Policies and the Public Services
- Leadership and Teamwork in the Public Services
- Citizenship, Diversity and the Public Services
- Understanding Discipline in the Uniformed Public Services
- Fitness Testing and Training for the Uniformed Public Services
- Physical preparation, Health and Lifestyle for the Public Services
- International Institutions and Human Rights
- Understand the Impact of War, Conflict and Terrorism on Public Services
- Crime and its impact on Society
- Behaviour in Public Sector Employment
- Police Powers in the Public Services
- Responding to Emergency Service Incidents
- The Planning and Management of Major Incidents
- Command and Control in the Uniformed Public Services
- Skills for Land-based Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
- Skills for Water-based Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
- Outdoor and Adventurous Expeditions
- Practical Team Sports
- Exercise, Health and Lifestyle
- Instructing Physical Activity and Exercise
- Volunteering in Public Services
- Career Planning and Employment in the Uniformed Public Services
Students must have the ability to undertake extensive independent research. It is vital that they have good IT and communications skills.
To be eligible for the BTEC level Three courses the applicant would have to achieved five GCSEs at a ‘4’.
This is through practical and task based work, projects, assignments, individual and group work and written and oral presentations. Students will be assessed on a portfolio of work.
Students will be able to progress into careers in the Police, Armed Services, Fire Service, public service and security industry. At higher education level, candidates will be able to specialise in subjects such as Criminology, Risk and Emergency Management and Public Services.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Shirley High School Performing Arts College directly.