Accessibility links

Chemistry AS at Faringdon Community College

Course description

A mixture of practical work, discussion work (often based on work students have prepared in advance), IT-based work and problem solving. The course has a wide range of activities prepared for it to which we have added our own.

Course content

Unit F321: Atoms, Bonds and Groups

  • Atoms and reactions
  • Electrons, bonding and structure
  • The Periodic Table

Unit F322: Chains, Energy and Resources

  • Basic concepts of organic chemistry and hydrocarbons
  • Alcohols, halogenoalkanes and analysis
  • Energy changes in chemical reactions
  • Resources and Green Chemistry

Unit F323: Practical Skills in Chemistry 1

  • Candidates are assessed on one task from each of the following categories: qualitative, quantitative and evaluative tasks.

Time Allocation: 8 hours per fortnight plus homework tasks

Private Study Requirement: Homework set after most lessons. This may be preparation of work for the following lesson, or problems to test understanding of what has been taught.

Extra Curricular Opportunities: Visits are arranged to universities, research facilities and companies which make use of chemistry.

Good Combination With: A wide range of combinations is possible but it is sensible to include at least one of the following – Maths, Physics, Biology, Geography, Food Technology

Entry requirements

To study ‘AS’ level subjects students need to gain a minimum of 5 A*- C grades in GCSE subjects.

We expect students to have gained a grade C in Maths and English Language.

We also expect students to gain a grade B or higher in a subject that they wish to continue to study in the Sixth Form. A grade B is a good indicator to predict that a student will be able to successfully cope with the increased challenge and rigour of studying a subject to Advanced level. However, there is a degree of flexibility in this condition dependent on the student’s effort and commitment to their academic development.

A major factor in students achieving success at AS and A level is the level of effort and commitment shown during Year 12/13. Therefore, our entry requirement has a degree of flexibility to allow us to accept students who we believe have shown the necessary work ethic in Key Stage 4 but have gained a grade C in a subject they wish to study at A level.

Assessment

For AS, there are 2 written exam papers making up 80% of the marks. The remaining 20% from teacher assessment of practical skills.

Future opportunities

As well as for degrees in Chemistry itself, it is a required A level for entry into Medical and Veterinary courses and also for Chemical Engineering, Biochemistry, Biomolecular science, Pharmacy, Forensic Science and Food related sciences such as nutrition. A large number of Chemistry graduates go on to work in science-based jobs, but many make use of the problem solving skills they have developed in sectors ranging from IT and finance to law.

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Faringdon Community College directly.

Last updated date: 23 November 2017
Provider logo

Key information

Venues