Accessibility links

Electronics AS/A Level at Hazelwick School

Course description

The aim of the course is to provide you with a rewarding & stimulating course which combines a broad base of electronic theory with a significant coursework component (20%).  You will develop skills in producing & "trouble-shooting" circuits which you will have designed yourself.

Although not essential, a good foundation in Mathematics would be a distinct advantage due to the high mathematically-based content of the course.  You are encouraged to maximise the use of technology within the course & will need to make regular use of Picoscopes & logic probes.  In most lessons there is a practical aspect to the work, predominantly through the use of "breadboards".

Course content

Year 12

This covers basic principles of Electronics, including system design, timing circuits, operational amplifiers & microcontrollers focussing on different aspects of Electronics & cover a range of design & evaluation skills.  One of the tasks will make use of the micro-controllers & will involve basic level programmijng, the other 2 cover both digital & analogue systems. 

Year 13

This builds on the basic Electronics principles of Year 12 & also covers electronic control & communications topics.  This includes basic radio design & wireless communication. 

Entry requirements

Grade 6 in Triple Science Physics or 6-5 in Combined Science.  Grade 6 in Mathematics is desirable.

Assessment

Year 12 - the course is split into 80% exam & 20% Extended system design & realisation

Three coursework tasks

Examination 2 hrs 45 mins (worth 80% of A level) with a range of short & long answer questions applying the electronics knowledge in a practical context

Year 13 - 2 exams each 2 hrs 45 mins (worth 80% of A level).  Each exam will be a mix of short answer & extended answer questions set in a practical context.  The remaining 20% is 2 extended system design & realisation tasks.  These tasks are more substantial that at Year 12 & will require more demanding circuits to be designed & realised.  These tasks will include both analogue & digital systems as well as micro-controllers.

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Hazelwick School directly.

Last updated date: 27 November 2017
Provider logo

Key information

Venues