History A Level at Monkseaton High School
This qualification is a two year full time course. Students who choose the course have a passion for investigating the past and in analysing current affairs.
- Analytical reading and cross referencing
- Constructing and evaluating an argument or line of enquiry
- Critical thinking about change and its pace, continuity, significance, cause and consequence
- Understanding of the nature and purpose of History as a discipline, with source analysis
Students will study a range of units throughout the course which will include:
Unit 1 (Breadth Study)
- Tsarist and Communist Russia,1855-1964
Unit 2 (Depth Study)
- The Wars of the Roses,1450-1499
Unit 3 Historical Investigation (non-exam unit)
Students devise and select their own focus for enquiry, based on a study of 16th century England, in order to work as an historian to produce a piece of research independently.
Students must achieve a grade C in GCSE History and English Language. If students have not studied History at GCSE then they must achieve a grade C in English Language or in another Humanities subject.
AS - 100% examination
A2 - 75% examinations and 25% coursework
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Monkseaton High School directly.