Childcare, Learning and Development BTEC at Monkseaton High School
- Revision skills
- Knowledge and understanding of child development, childcare and related theory
- Being able to apply your knowledge and understanding to childcare settings and scenarios
- Transferable communication and interpersonal skills
- Awareness of careers and job roles within the childcare field
- Appropriate background knowledge to use in course related employment
- Academic writing skills
- Vocational experience in a childcare setting
Unit 1: Child Development (exam unit)
- Understanding growth and development from birth up to 8 years
- Understand theories and models of development and how they can be applied to childcare practice
- Understand factors influences children’s development and the importance of recognising atypical development
Unit 3: Play and Learning
- Understand how play may help children’s development
- Understand how different play activities and opportunities can support children’s learning and development
- Understand how theoretical approaches to play and learning influence early years settings
- Understand early years professionals’ involvement in children’s play opportunities, activities and learning
Unit 2: Development of Children’s Communication, Literacy and Numeracy Skills
- This unit will be assessed through a task set and marked by Pearson and taken under supervised conditions. The task will include a case study of an early years setting.
- Learners will have three activities to complete based on these case studies (externally assessed work)
Unit 6: Children’s Physical Development, Care and Health Needs
- Understand the physical development and care needs of children and approaches to their healthy development
- Plan and support routines and activities to meet children’s physical development and care needs
- Investigate how to recognise and respond to children who are unwell and support children with ongoing health conditions.
In addition to your studies in school, you will also be required to complete a 50 hour work placement in a relevant childcare setting.
Students must have 5A*- C/9-5 grades at GCSE (Including English and Maths).
- 1 exam (unit 1)
- 1 externally assessed task (unit 2)
- 2 units of written coursework (unit 3 and 6)
- X3 work placements in childcare settings (practical assessment)
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Monkseaton High School directly.