Accessibility links

Physical Education A Level at Nailsea School

Course description

A Level PE aims to provide candidates with a global understanding of sport and exercise combining scientific, psychological, social and practical concepts. The course will:

  • enable candidates to know about, understand and analyse the major concepts and principles underlying physical education and sport;
  • develop an understanding of the historical, physical, social, cultural and psychological factors which influence sport and physical education; and
  • encourage the understanding of theoretical principles through practical examples.

Entry requirements

Students are expected to achieve a grade 6 or higher in GCSE Science, 5 for GCSE PE, ENG, MATHS or Distinction on OCR Level 2 Sports Studies. Students must be ICT literate and are required to be participating in sport regularly to at least club standard. Excellent time management skills and the ability to manage your own time and meet deadlines are key to being successful in the practical element.

Students who have not studied Sport at KS4 will be considered on a case by case basis, and will need to meet all other criteria identified above. Coaching and leadership courses will be available throughout the year at varying costs (optional).

Entry to the Sixth Form is not automatic, but depends on:

Achieving 5 grade 4s or above for entry to level 3 courses and meeting the individual entry requirements of your chosen Level 3 courses.


The theory content comprises of 70% of the total marks. This examines the physiological, psychological and social cultural concepts. The remaining 30% is assessed through practical performance (15%) and the ability to analyse and evaluate performance (15%). This can be completed in a written or interview format. Candidates will be required to demonstrate their practical and theoretical application as a performer or a coach. (Please refer to specification for sporting categories recognised by AQA.)

Coursework: 15%

Examination: 70%

Awarding Body: AQA

Future opportunities

Previous candidates have progressed to higher education studying courses ranging from recreation management, exercise science, sports psychology and physiotherapy. Career prospects are continually expanding within a growing industry and include occupations such as leisure management, sports therapy, teaching, coaching, exercise consultancy and health promotion.

Further information

Student Profile

Year: 13

A Levels: Sciences, Maths, Spanish, PE

Level 2 Courses studied: We got As at GCSE PE so carried on with plans to take PE at A Level.

Reasons for taking course: We all take Biology and PE as they complement one another. Also we picked the course as a mix of enjoyment and to keep our options open in the future.

What I like about this course: There is something for everyone as the three components are like three individual subjects. If you enjoy GCSE then you’ll enjoy A Level. The ongoing assessment lets you know if you’re on track.

My advice: Have the confidence to ask if you don’t understand anything. The classes are small so make the most of your classmates and discuss things. There is a lot more content and detail at A Level and a lot more science but if you develop a good base style of working at GCSE then it will help. The exam style is the same. Go over your GCSE work in the summer to prepare for the start of term.

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Nailsea School directly.

Last updated date: 01 December 2017

Key information