Sociology A Level at St Edmunds Catholic Academy
This award is designed to allow student to acquire the essential knowledge and understanding of central aspects of sociological thought and methods, together with the application of a range of skills. Students will also develop an understanding of the integration of sociological themes, such as socialisation, culture and identity and social differentiation, power and stratification. Sociology allows students to explore facts and opinions from a variety of sociological perspectives including functionalism, marxism, liberalism and feminism to name just four, whilst also being encouraged to think about the various issues from their own point of view.
The AQA specification will encourage students to:
• acquire knowledge and a critical understanding of contemporary social processes and social changes
• appreciate the significance of theoretical and conceptual issues in sociological debate
• understand and evaluate sociological methodology and a range of research methods through active involvement through the research project.
• develop skills that enable individuals to focus on their personal identity, roles and responsibilities within society.
• develop a lifelong interest in social issues.
• foster the development of critical and reflective thinking with a respect for social diversity.
• develop an awareness of the importance of social structure and social action in explaining social issues.
Students will develop their own sociological awareness through active engagement with the contemporary social world.
Although it is not essential for entry onto a Sociology degree course, the knowledge and skills that will be developed on this diverse and engaging course would ensure a smooth progression onto any Social Science based courses at university, such as Social Work, Social policy or Sociology. Sociology is a broad subject that would be relevant in many careers including Education, Social Work, Midwifery, Nursing and Journalism.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St Edmunds Catholic Academy directly.