Physics A Level at Bingley Grammar School
- Are you interested in the Universe?
- Do you want to know how things work?
- Do you like practical investigations?
- Can you work with big and small concepts?
In Year 12 students study:
- Fundamentals of Physics;
- Mechanics (Forces, Motion and Energy);
- Electrons, Photons and Waves (Electricity Behaviour and Basic Quantum Theory);
- Standard Practical Investigations.
In Year 13 students go on to study:
- The Newtonian World (Circular Motion, Gravity, Oscillations and Gases);
- Astrophysics and Cosmology;
- Field Theory of Electromagnetism;
- Nuclear and Particle Physics;
- Medical Imaging;
- Advanced Practical Investigations.
Grade 5 or above in English Language, Maths and 2 Sciences.
Physics is a demanding course that can offer many future career opportunities. You will need to be mathematically able and be curious about the world around you. You should enjoy practical investigations and be keen on solving problems.
Awarding Body: OCRTwo exams at the end of year 12:
- Breadth in Physics (01) 50% of year
- Depth in Physics (02) 50% of year
- Modelling Physics (01) 37% of year
- Exploring Physics (02) 37% of year
- Unified Physics (03) 26% of year
There are no coursework requirements for this qualification. However there is ongoing practical assessment throughout the 2 years the content of which is examinable.
Students are required to provide their own stationery (to include folder and scientific calculator) and are requested to purchase their own textbook (£30.00), but this may be purchased back if in good condition at the end of the course. A revision guide is not compulsory, but students may wish to purchase this to help with final exam preparation (approx. £15.00).
A level Physics is widely respected qualification. It combines well with A level Maths and is essential background for further study of technical and engineering based subjects. It can lead to a variety of career opportunities such as Computing, Finance, Engineering, Pure Research, Education and Energy Resource Management.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Bingley Grammar School directly.