Computer Science A Level at Samuel Whitbread Academy
The OCR Advanced GCE in Computing (H046/H446) covers both the current technologies and perceived advances in both hardware and software to enable you to meet the demands of a highly skilled IT and computing focused business and industrial sectors. It also provides a firm basis for further studies in higher education in Computer Science and related subject areas.
The course provides a smooth transition from GCSE Computer Science, GCSE ICT, and BTEC ICT, although these are not a pre-requisite for studying A Level Computer Science.
• Unit 1 (H046/01): Computing principles (50% of AS)
• Unit 2 (H046/02): Algorithms and problem solving (50% of AS/25% of A2)
• Unit 1 (H446/01): Computer systems (40% of A Level)
• Unit 2 (H446/02): Algorithms and programming (40% of A Level)
• Unit 3 (H446/03/04): Programming project (20% of A Level)
• APS 5.1
• Grade 6 in GCSE Maths (discussion with department if a grade 5 is achieved)
• Studying GCSE Computer Science is an advantage.
• 80% external examination
• 20% coursework - Programming Project
This course, with its emphasis on abstract thinking, general problem solving, algorithmic and mathematical reasoning, scientific and engineering-based thinking, is a good foundation for further study Higher Education: This specification has been designed for students who wish to go on to higher education courses or employment where knowledge of Computing would be beneficial. One can study Computing and go on to a career in medicine, law, business, politics or any type of science. Candidates would also be well placed for a career as a systems analyst or junior programmer /developer.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Samuel Whitbread Academy directly.