Fashion and Textiles A Level at Samuel Whitbread Academy
The aims of the specification are to encourage students to:
- Develop and sustain their own innovation, creativity, design and technology capability, to recognise constraints and to produce high-quality products.
- Develop a critical understanding of the influences of the processes and products of design and technological activity from a historical perspective and in current practice.
- Apply essential knowledge, understanding and skills of design production processes to a range of technological activities and develop an understanding of industrial practices.
- Use Information and Communication Technology (ICT) to enhance their design and technological capability.
- Develop skills, knowledge and understanding relevant to the creative industries.
• Recognise the social, moral, spiritual and cultural values that are characteristic of textile technology and develop critical evaluation skills in technical, aesthetic ethical, economic, environmental, social and cultural contexts.
• Design, make, test, evaluate and where appropriate, modify, quality solutions and prototypes to satisfy design needs.
• Learn new textile techniques and apply them to a design and make task.
• APS 3.9
• C grade in GCSE Textiles
• You should enjoy designing and experimenting with fabrics and techniques to develop initiative products
• Combination of coursework, exam and externally set tasks
This course is accepted for entry to universities and colleges, especially for studies in various branches of design, design management, product design, fashion design, costume design, fashion promotion, retail management, interior design, surface decoration, visual merchandising, buying, forensics. It would also support direct entry into a career after A levels with a portfolio of work, or entry on to an appropriate Design Foundation course, HND or degree course.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Samuel Whitbread Academy directly.