Accessibility links

English Language A Level at Bury St Edmunds County Upper School

Course description

English Language is accepted as valuable preparation for arts and humanities courses in both further and higher education and is widely accepted in the vocational sphere.

Course content

The course offers the opportunity for the study of linguistics. It includes detailed analysis of a variety of spoken, written and multi-modal texts. The examinations form 80% of the overall A Level and a coursework project over the two years gains the remaining 20%.

At the end of Year 12, students will sit one internal summative written examination. This is for progress analysis and predicted grades only and does not count towards the full A Level. All A Level examinations and coursework pieces are assessed during Year 13.

For examination, pupils will study a variety of linguistic features, engaging creatively and critically with a wide range of texts and discourses. The course also offers the opportunity to study how language is learned by children and the nature and origins of different words, accents and dialects. The examination elements include a
creative writing paper and accompanying commentary. The coursework is a detailed investigation of an area of linguistics negotiated between each individual pupil and their teacher, allowing independent study and research.

Students require at least a Level 6 (the new equivalent of a ‘B’ grade) in both GCSE English Language and GCSE English Literature to study this course.

Entry requirements

Students  who  wish  to  study  GCE  Advanced  level  courses  are  required  to  have  passed  at  least  five  GCSE  or  equivalent  level  two  courses  at  grades  5-9  including  a  minimum  of  grade 5 in the subjects they wish to study.  Most students attempting A level courses will have  more  than  this  minimum.  In  subjects  not  taught  at  GCSE  a  5  in  a  related  subject  is required (for example, a 5/6 in English would enable a student to study Politics).

Assessment

Language Concepts and Issues
External written examination: 2 hours, taken in Year 13

 

Language Change Over Time

External written examination: 2 hours 15 minutes, taken in
Year 13

 

Creative and Critical Use of Language

External written examination: 1 hour 45 minutes, taken in Year 13
 
Language and Identity
Coursework: submitted for internal assessment during Year 13

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Bury St Edmunds County Upper School directly.

Last updated date: 12 January 2018
Provider logo

Key information

Venues