Product Design (Design and Technology) A Level at Ralph Allen School
Learning about design and technology at A Level strengthens learners’ critical thinking and problem solving skills within a creative environment, enabling them to develop and make prototypes/products that solve real world problems, considering their own and others’ needs, wants, aspirations and values. The A Level qualification requires students to identify market needs and opportunities for new products, initiate and develop design solutions, and make and test prototypes/products. Learners should acquire subject knowledge in design and technology, including how a product can be developed through the stages of prototyping, realisation and commercial manufacture.
A Level Overview: Examined by 3 units: 2 Exams, 1 Iterative Design Task (coursework project).
25% written examination paper
Within this students are required to:
• Analyse existing products
• Demonstrate applied mathematical skills
• Demonstrate their technical knowledge of materials, product functionality, manufacturing processes and techniques
• Demonstrate their understanding of wider social, moral and environmental issues that impact on the design and manufacturing industries.
25% Design/written examination paper
• Section A focuses on learners applying their knowledge, understanding and skills of designing and manufacturing prototypes and products.
• Section B requires learners to reflect on their design task in Section A in relation to wider factors/issues from the design principles.
50% Iterative Design Task (Project)
This project requires learners to undertake a substantial design, make and evaluate project centred on the iterative processes of explore, create and evaluate.
Learners identify a design opportunity or problem from a context of their own choice, and create a portfolio of evidence in real time through the project to demonstrate their competence.
GCSE Maths and English Grade 5, 4 further GCSE’s Grades 9-6 including Design Technology Grade A, A* or B.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Ralph Allen School directly.
Last updated date: 30 January 2018