Engineering BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma at Macclesfield College
The Level 3 Extended Diploma in Engineering is a nationally recognised work-related
qualification. You will learn by completing projects and assignments that are based on realistic workplace situations, activities and demands. The course will introduce you to and prepare you for the world of work. You will study in both a classroom and workshop environment and you will carry out tasks in the practical workshop to develop essential “hand skills” that are considered by engineering employers as essential skills.
During this course you will study a wide range of units such as:
- Engineering maths
- Mechanical & electrical principles
- CAD (Computer Aided Design)
- Electronic measurement & testing
- Manufacturing technology
- Materials engineering
- Electrical technology
Alongside your main programme of study you will also study either GCSE or Functional Skills in English and Maths if you have not achieved a GCSE grade C or above. If you have achieved a grade C or above in GCSE English and Maths, you will engage in extending these skills through a Directed Study Programme.
For this course you will need to have achieved one of the following:
- 4 GCSEs grade A*-C to include maths at grade B and science at grade C
- A Level 2 qualification in Engineering and GCSE Maths/Functional Skills Level 2 Maths.
On receipt of your application to study this course you will be invited to attend an admissions interview with a member of the teaching team to discuss the course and its requirements further.
During the course, you will carry out a number of assignments and internal or external tests. You will have the opportunity to produce
a work related project that will allow you to creatively use the skills you have learnt.
GCSE and Functional Skills qualifications are assessed through external examination and portfolio work.
You will be provided with a pair of overalls and safety shoes/boots for workshop sessions.
On successful achievement of this course you may wish to:
- Apply to study a Level 4 qualification such as a Foundation Degree or Higher National here at the College or at University
- Pursue a range of employment opportunities/apprenticeships within a variety of engineering settings
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Macclesfield College directly.