Sociology at Ringwood School Academy
This qualification aims to introduce students to key concepts and core themes of Sociology and to encourage them to develop their understanding and sociological awareness by engaging with contemporary issues.
The AS course comprises two units:
- Unit 1– Socialisation, culture and identity
- Unit 2—Researching and understanding social inequalities
The A2 Course comprises three units:
- Unit 1 – Socialisation, culture and identity
- Unit 2 — Researching and understanding
- Unit 3 — Debates in contemporary society
- 3 Bs and 3 Cs (or equivalent) at GCSE.
- Skills in English and ICT will be an advantage, as well as an aptitude for independent study.
At AS, Units 1 and 2 are assessed through external examinations,
- Each unit comprising a 1 hour 30 minute written paper.
- Each unit accounts for 50% of the final grade.
At A2 students are assessed through three external examinations weighted as follows:
- Unit 1: I hour 30 minute written paper (30%)
- Unit 2: 2 hours 15 mins written paper (35%)
- Unit 3: 2 hours 15 mins written paper (35%)
This qualification is designed to foster the development of critical and reflective thinking with a respect for social diversity; and to encourage an awareness of social structure and social action in explaining social issues. Students are encouraged to reflect on their own social experiences and apply them to their learning.
This qualification is an excellent foundation for the study of sociology or related courses
in higher education, or for those intending to pursue a career in social sciences.
There are strong cross-curricular links with both Psychology and Health and Social Care at A Level.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Ringwood School Academy directly.