Fashion, Design & Media UAL Level 3 Extended Diploma at Reading College
If your plan is to pursue a career in fashion design or a fashion related specialism, then this is the course for you.
Over the two years you will learn by completing projects and assignments using a broad range of techniques and materials. This course will give you an understanding of the fashion industry and design cycle, developing skills including trend research, fashion design, garment construction, illustration and fashion styling.
This advanced level course is designed to give you a broad base of knowledge and experience to prepare you for employment or progression to a higher level course.
You study units of work over the two years:
• introduction to visual language in art and design
• introduction to research skills in art and design
• introduction to critical and contextual awareness in art and design
• introduction to materials, processes and technical skills
• an integrated approach to 2D problem solving
• an integrated approach to 3D problem solving
• an integrated approach to time-based problem solving
• developing an art and design project
• art and design characteristics and context
• preparation for progression in art and design
• engaging with an audience in art and design
• art and design proposal and realisation
The qualification awarded is the UAL Extended Diploma in Art and Design - Fashion Pathway.
You will gain
• practical 2D and 3D skills through research and design development
• organisation skills, planning and time management
• evaluative skills when reviewing personal work
• self-motivation and working independently inside and outside of college
• experience of team work to problem solve and be able to present ideas to others.
You will have opportunities to set up and take part in fashion shows and photo shoots, as well as visiting exhibitions to use as a source of inspiration.
All Level 3 students must have 5 GCSEs including English and maths at grade C or above, or a Level 2 qualification.
Students who do not have a Level 2 qualification in English but have achieved a pass in their BTEC Level 2 and a Level 1 qualification in English could progress to the 90 credit one year Level 3 programme. (This allows the students to improve their English before progressing to the full Extended Diploma in year 2).
All students should have examples of art or design work and a satisfactory reference from a school or employer.
All students will be interviewed. Full details of topics to be discussed will be sent with a letter of invitation for interview.
The course leads on to higher education or in some cases directly into employment as a junior fashion assistant, or can help you progress
in the fashion retail world through a store's own management scheme.
The UAL Extended Diploma in Fashion Design generates up to 360 UCAS points.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Reading College directly.