Carpentry & Joinery Level 1 Diploma Group A at Eastleigh College
This largely practical programme is for individuals who have a genuine interest in carpentry or joinery and wish to gain employment in the industry.
During the first year of the programme students will work towards Level 1 Carpentry and Joinery. Upon successful completion, you will be able to study at Level 2.
Both of these qualifications have been developed to recognise certain skills and knowledge which are necessary to work in a particular occupation, but which do not cover the full range of competence demanded by NVQs.
Level 1 Site Carpentry is made up of units:
- Carry out safe working practices
- Information, quantities and communication with others
- Building methods and construction technology
- Basic woodworking joints
- Maintaining and using hand and portable power tools
Progressing onto Level 2 will reinforce your knowledge and you will complete the following units:-
- *Health, safety and welfare in construction and associated industries
- Understanding information, quantities and communication with others
- Understanding construction technology
- Carry out first and second fixing operations
- Structural carcassing
- Maintenance to non-structural carcassing operations
- *Prepare and use portable power tools
*Level 1 exemption
4 GCSEs at grade A*- E including English, Maths and a Science or IT subject are required.
A good achievement and attendance report from a previous school or college and a successful college interview and assessment will also be needed.
This is essentially a practical programme, although there are written assignments linked to the practical work and a phase test. There is also an externally set examination and internal practical assessments.
The programme will be assessed continually through practical tasks and the completion of a log book of workshop based activities. Your theoretical work will be assessed by completion of a number of work related portfolios.
You will need to purchase steel toe-capped shoes and overalls for this programme.
Progression after the programme could be onto Level 2 Carpentry, Advanced Construction Award or employment in the industry, or an Apprenticeship.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Eastleigh College directly.