Applied Science BTEC Level 3 at Poole High School
If you really enjoy the practical nature of Science and are interested in its relevance in our world today, then BTEC Applied Science is for you. Edexcel Applied Science Level 3 Extended Certificate is a two year qualification, equivalent to one A-level qualification in terms of UCAS points and contact time. The course will cover 4 units of study that include fundamentals of Biology, Chemistry and Physics. The units will include practical work and written work.
• Principles and Applications of Science
• Practical Scientific Procedures and Techniques
• Science Investigation Skills
Which students do well at BTEC Applied Science?
• …those who have an excellent attitude to learning.
• …those who are self-motivated and ambitious.
• …those who want a course which develops knowledge and understanding of Applied Science.
• …those who are motivated enough to carry out the necessary work outside of lessons.
• …those who like a challenge and don’t give up easily.
- C in GCSE English
- C in GCSE Maths
- GCSE Sciences – Grade C
- Unit 1 is a 1 and ½ written exam completed under exam conditions
- Unit 2 is internally assessed coursework
- Unit 3 is externally assessed coursework completed in controlled conditions
- Unit 4 is internally assessed coursework
Text books, tuition and course materials are provided free, however contributions are requested from parents for trips and visits that may support learning in school. Some students will be eligible for the 16-19 Bursary Fund, which is a government-provided fund for sixth form students facing financial hardship. It can help towards costs for travel, equipment (for example in PE or Food Technology), trips and books.
This qualification would be excellent for a career in a science-related industry. It would provide the foundations for a subsequent vocational qualification. Most importantly, you would gain transferable life skills of analysis, evaluation, presentation, group work and independence.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Poole High School directly.