Media Studies A level at The Littlehampton Academy
You will enhance your enjoyment and appreciation of the media and its role in your daily life, by changing from an audience member to a producer with a critical eye. You will develop critical understanding of the media through engagement with media products and concepts and through the creative application of practical skills, including filming and editing, designing websites and photography.
As part of your study in A Level Media you will work in an industrial context by responding to a brief to create two linked production pieces. You will develop your own views and interpretations of media texts, and apply theory to them.
- build on your own interests, knowledge and enjoyment of media texts and technologies
- engage with theory, research and ideas relating to the chosen topic
- develop skills in pre-production and in media technologies to produce your own media texts
- use the necessary framework of concepts to carry out your own readings of media texts
- undertake detailed study of a cross-media topic which is focused on contemporary media texts and the changing contexts within which media texts are created
- explore a range of media platforms such as broadcasting, e-media and print, to include broadcasting, cinema, print media, digital/web-based and emerging media
- develop skills in using media terminology and written communication
At least 5 A*- C grades at GCSE or equivalence A qualification in media studies at GCSE or media production at BTEC Level 2 is not a requirement for the course.
50% exam, 50% coursework.
Many of our students go on to study media studies and media production at university. You could go into a variety of areas, such as journalism, animation, computer game design, editing or marketing.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Littlehampton Academy directly.