Product Design A Level at South Craven School, the Technology and Engineering College
Product Design is about the creation of new items that people will buy. It includes appearance and function and needs the balance of science, maths and art for its success. Styling and function are crucial to commercial success, and through Product Design you will gain a thorough understanding of the process involved in turning ideas into attractive and useful products. Shape, colour, user perception, usability and sustainability are just a few of the elements you will learn to work with.
Typical projects include:
- Retro inspired radios using modern materials; Students design and make a working radio that has been based on a retro theme.
- Design Era inspired Door Hanger; after studying different designers through history students will design and make a door hanger in the style of a chosen era.
- A Random Number counter for our own Lottery draw.
In the first year of the course you will complete a number of different units of work leading to an AS qualification. These units are:
- Material, Components and Application (Theory focused exam)
- Learning through Designing and Making (Design Portfolio)
After the first year successful candidates will continue on to complete 2 further units to gain an A-Level qualification. These units are:
- Design and Making Practice (Design and make of your own choice)
- Design and Manufacture (Written Exam)
If you decide to go to University or college and you have other qualifications, you could take a degree in a wide range of design based courses, such as:
- Product Design
- Furniture Design
- Interior Design
- Teacher Training
- Art Foundation
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact South Craven School, the Technology and Engineering College directly.
Last updated date: 03 July 2015