Physical Education at Holmes Chapel Comprehensive School
The AS course is assessed over two units. Unit 1 is externally assessed through a 1.5-hour examination paper. Unit 2 is internally assessed, through compiling a portfolio of evidence covering the four practical related tasks. The A2 course is also assessed over two units, Unit 3 through a 2-hour examination paper. For Unit 4 you will submit four completed coursework tasks. You will:
* Develop your knowledge and understanding across anatomy & physiology
* Explore the historical issues in modern sport and recreation
* Examine the effects of exercise and the relationships between training and performance
* Identify the pathways and opportunities available to participate in sport and recreation at a local, national and international level
* Enhance your understanding of how elite performers prepare for sports competition
* Find ways to improve your own performance in selected roles through your greater understanding of the subject.
It is not a requirement that you should have studied physical education at GCSE level in order to take an Advanced GCE course in Physical Education. Several topics covered in the course are developments of work covered at GCSE but others are new.
What is important is that you should have a lively and enquiring mind, an interest in physical education and sport, a willingness to explore new ideas and an ability to communicate your ideas effectively. You must also enjoy Coursework.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Holmes Chapel Comprehensive School directly.