A Level Design and Technology Product Design (Resistant Materials Technology) at King Edward VI Grammar School, Chelmsford
To expand on the knowledge of materials, components and systems and apply them to the design and manufacture of products.
- Coursework: Duration from September to April. This includes a design folder and a manufactured product (for Resistant Materials), or model (for Graphics).
- Theory Work: On the following: - Analysis of products on the market - Materials and components - Industrial and commercial practice - Presentation techniques - CAD/CAM
- Coursework: Duration from July to April. This includes a design folder and a manufactured product (for Resistant Materials), or model (for Graphics).
- Theory Work: On the following: - Materials, components and systems - CAD/CAM - Preparation for the Design examination
- A good grade in GCSE Technology is important but not crucial
- An interest in materials, their structure and working properties and construction techniques (for Resistant Materials), and graphic, product or architectural design (for Graphics)
- The personal organisation and determination necessary to be able to cope with the demands of a year long project is vital.
- AS – Two written theory papers (60%) and a coursework project (40%).
- A2 – One written theory paper, and one design paper (60%) and a coursework project (40%).
- Higher Education and careers in Product or Industrial design, Materials science, Electrical and Mechanical Engineering, Architectural design or Automotive Engineering.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact King Edward VI Grammar School, Chelmsford directly.