Travel and Tourism BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate at Medina College
The BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Travel and Tourism is designed to support learners who are interested in learning about the travel and tourism industry as part of a programme of study that includes other appropriate BTEC Nationals or A Levels. It is the equivalent in size to one A Level and works well in combination with Sport, ICT, Business, Sociology and Geography.
The travel and tourism industry is one of the fastest and growing industries in the UK. The value of tourism to the UK economy is approximately £126 billion, and the sector employs around 3.1 million people.
This qualification includes three mandatory units covering the following content areas.
• The travel and tourism industry in the UK is growing and is of major importance to the economy. You will develop the skills needed to examine, interpret and analyse a variety of statistics that measure the importance of tourism to the UK. • Different types of destinations and their importance – you will investigate the features and appeal of global destinations. • Customer service – explore and apply ways of managing internal and external customer experience to support organisational success and develop their customer service skills.
The qualification includes one optional unit which covers content relating to Visitor attractions. Students will investigate the nature and role of both built and natural visitor attractions, their appeal, popularity, response to diverse visitor needs and the importance of delivering a memorable visitor experience.
Mandatory content accounts for 83% of the qualification and External assessment is 58% with internal assessment making up the remaining 42%.
Students who have completed this qualification will develop transferable and higher-order skills, which are highly regarded by higher education providers and employers. For example, when studying the World of Travel and Tourism unit, students will analyse information and data from the travel and tourism industry, identifying trends and the potential impact of different factors on the industry and its customers, which supports some of the skills students need to progress into higher education, employment, self-employment or training. Students completing BTEC travel and tourism courses have progressed onto undergraduate courses such as International Tourism Management and employment in travel and tourism and business fields.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Medina College directly.