Electrical Installation Advanced Apprenticeship programme City & Guilds 2357 at Bromley College of Further & Higher Education
This Advanced Level Apprenticeship covers the installation of electrotechnical equipment. The electrotechnical industry plays a key role in other industries – e.g. construction, engineering, manufacturing – and electricians use specialist skills to tackle a variety of projects.
Electricians can be employed by many different organisations: electrical contractors, companies that provide a range of electrical and electronic services, specialist operators, and even local authorities. The industry carries out projects like wiring new shopping centre’s or sports stadiums; and installing CCTV systems.
Because this is an Advanced Level Apprenticeship, apprentices will be expected to have strong practical skills and advanced abilities. You’ll need to be able to follow technical drawings and understand health and safety regulations.
Qualifications and Units
As part of this Advanced Apprenticeship, the apprentices will complete the following qualifications:
- City and Guilds NVQ Level 3 in Electrical Installation (2357)
- Achievement Measurement 2 (AM2)
- Functional Skills in Communication
- Functional Skills in Mathematics
- Functional Skills in Information Communication Technology (ICT)
The delivery of this Apprenticeship is flexible and based around the needs of both the employer and the apprentice. This Apprenticeship can either be delivered in a day release or block release model.
When the apprentice is released from their job, whether this is one day a week or for blocks, they will participate in theoretical and practical workshops.
A dedicated assessor will also visit the workplace regularly to complete the ‘on the job’ competency part of the Apprenticeship.
The functional skills element of the Apprenticeship can be delivered when the apprentice attends College. Apprentices may be exempt from this element of the Apprenticeship if they meet the relevant criteria.
As part of the Apprenticeship, apprentices will also complete Employment Rights and Responsibilities and Personal Learning and Thinking Skills. These elements are included in either the day/block release workshops or the ‘on the job’ assessment.
To be eligible for this Apprenticeship, the potential apprentice will need:
- Five GCSE’s grade A* - C, including Mathematics and English
- Must be employed in the Electrical Installation industry for a minimum of 30 hours per week and the employer able to release the apprentice for the ‘off the job’ training
- Able to attend a College interview day with initial assessments in English, Mathematics and technical skills
The apprentice will be required to complete a work based portfolio of evidence demonstrating that they are competent in the job role and meet industry standards. The apprentice will also need to successfully pass the AM2 examination as part of this Apprenticeship.
To enrol onto this Advanced Apprenticeship, potential apprentices will need a contract of employment, working in a relevant electrical role for at least 30 hours a week and also be paid the National Apprenticeship minimum wage or above (£2.73 per hour).
After successfully completing this Apprenticeship you could work as a fully qualified Electrician. There will be further opportunity to progress onto higher level and specialist professional qualifications for this industry.
Job roles suitable for
This Apprenticeship is suitable for apprentices working in electrical installation and doing the following:
- complete installation,
- inspection, testing and commissioning of electrical systems, devices, appliances and equipment in domestic, industrial, commercial, leisure and agricultural buildings, structures and environments.
Apprenticeships are now seen as valuable as degrees, combining both the practical skills and theoretical knowledge needed to succeed in the workplace and your chosen career. Some of the main benefits for apprentices include:
- Earn a salary
- Receive on the job training
- Gain a national recognised and industry standard qualification
- Learn job specific skills
- Get paid holidays
- Great prospects
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Bromley College of Further & Higher Education directly.