Film Studies A level at Havering Sixth Form College
Develop your appreciation of the industry and analyse how films are constructed. Carry out case studies on stars, directors, genres and produce a practical piece of film-based work.
If you love films and want to develop your understanding and appreciation of them, this is the course for you. In the first year you will focus on how films create meaning and how audiences understand them. You will also get the opportunity to carry out case studies on various Hollywood stars, directors and genres and produce a practical piece of film based on your studies.
You can expect to:
- Give your opinion on a wide range of films
- Work with others to create a film sequence or a short film
- Analyse performance, cinematography, editing and sound of individual films
- Examine current successful films and explain the reasons for their success
- Study the process of film-making, from finance to production and marketing
- Look at how audiences appreciate films and stars in case studies of movie internet sites, forums and fan behaviour
One grade B and four grade Cs at GCSE, C Grade English GCSE.
Exam Board - WJEC
40% Coursework, 60% Exam.
The purchase of a pen drive or portable hard drive to store work is advisable. Students are also encouraged to take part in a residential coursework trip in their first year. This will cost £150.
Film Studies provides a suitable foundation for a variety of degree courses or applied higher qualifications such as the HND, or direct entry into employment.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Havering Sixth Form College directly.