Religious Studies AS/A-Level at Hellesdon High Sixth Form Centre
What is Religious Studies?
R.S. is the study of Philosophy and Ethics, from both a religious and a non-religious viewpoint.
Why study Religion?
Because, you get to study questions like:
- Where did the universe come from?
- Can we use reason and logic to prove that God exists?
- What are religious experiences? Are they caused by a really-existing God, or are they psychological fantasies?
- What happens after death? - What is the evidence for reincarnation of the soul or resurrection of the body?
- What are near-death experiences evidence of?
- How do we account for the existence of evil and suffering in the world?
- What are miracles, and do they really happen?
- Are moral values facts, or are they just statements of opinion?
- Do moral standards have anything to do with the commands of a god?
- How should we behave in matters concerning: marriage, divorce, abortion, contraception, euthanasia, war, genetic experimentation?
What makes a successful RS student?
You do NOT need to have studied RS at GCSE to do it at A-level.You do NOT need to have any religious views to do it: it doesn’t matter what you believe – RS teaches you how todefend your beliefs. So it requires good written and verbal communication skills. An enquiring mind is essential.
To study at Hellesdon High School Sixth Form you will need: SIX GCSEs A* - C Grades will enable you to study FOUR A/S Level courses.
We would advise that a Grade B at GCSE would be a good indicator of potential for A Level but we will discuss this with you. Equally we can discuss options for individuals who may fall short of the six higher grade entry requirements.
When applying for courses you should look to study subjects that:
- a) You have a strong interest in (and enjoyment of)
- b) You feel you are successful at
- c) Your Yr11 teachers have highlighted you are good at.
It may also be useful to investigate university/employment websites if you have a particular interest in following a subject forward after Sixth Form.
A C grade or above in English as the course is 100% exam based.
RS teaches the skills of argument and analysis. It is therefore a major access route into careers like: Law, Medicine, Business, Journalism, Dentistry, Nursing, Teaching, Lecturing, Accountancy, and so on: in fact to any career that involves argument and analysis. At degree level, RS is often taken with Philosophy, Business Studies, Accountancy and the Sciences, because it shows your ability to think, plan and evaluate – valuable assets for any career.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Hellesdon High Sixth Form Centre directly.