Light Vehicle Maintenance and Repair Principles IMI Level 3 Diploma at Ealing, Hammersmith & West London College
Your career options range from garage and shop floor positions to technical development. Vehicle ownership is rising and the industry is in constant need of bright young people committed to building their careers around cars. This is a practical course that allows you to demonstrate your skills in the workplace.
All learners will develop their knowledge and skills in: Health and safety practices in vehicle maintenance, good housekeeping in the automotive environment tools equipment and materials for vehicle maintenance.
Examples of some of the unit options available follow:
- Introduction to the retail automotive maintenance and repair industry
- Vehicle Diagnostics , Engine Management systems
- Spark ignition engine systems, components and operation
- Compression ignition engine systems, components and operation
- Steering and suspension systems components and maintenance (4 wheels or more)
- Vehicle braking systems components and maintenance
- Vehicle wheels and tyres construction and maintenance
- Vehicle exhausts systems components and maintenance
- Introduction to low carbon technologies in the automotive industry
- Vehicle electrical foundation skills
- Basic vehicle valeting
- Light vehicle construction
- Removing and replacing light vehicle electrical units and components
- Removing and replacing light vehicle chassis units and components
- Inspection, repair and replacement of high performance light vehicle tyres
- Supporting Job Roles in the Automotive Environment
- Skills in Materials, Fabrication, Tools & Measuring Devices
- Inspecting Light Vehicles using Prescribed Methods
- Diagnosing & Rectifying Light Vehicle Chassis System Faults
- Diagnosing & Rectifying Light Vehicle Transmission & Driveline Faults
- Diagnosing & Rectifying of Automotive Vehicle Auxiliary Faults
You will need a IMI Level 2 or an equivalent qualification and the following:
- 2 GCSE at grade A to C.
- F/S Maths and English
- You will be required to attend a College interview and complete an assessment test.
- A recent reference
The assessments for this qualification have a practical focus and combine various assessment styles/methodologies and a Portfolio in order to suit the subject and levels of units contained within it.
This Certificate is ideal for those learners who wish to undertake a qualification which will support their progress into the retail motor vehicle industry and to a Level 4 BTEC HNC/HND. It can also supplement their progress to service and other appropriate destinations, such as the Institute of the Motor Industry Sector Skills Council (IMI SSC) Intermediate Apprenticeship at Level 2, or employment as Supervisor or Senior Mechanic.
Learning takes place at Southall Campus. Designed over three days.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Ealing, Hammersmith & West London College directly.