Plumbing Studies Level 1 Diploma at Eastleigh College
This programme is designed for individuals who wish to become employed in the plumbing industry but are just starting out and want a good, basic understanding of the plumbing trade.
The programme will cover the following:
- Understanding health and safety within building services engineering
- Understanding of the use of components and materials used
- Basic hot and cold systems designs and maintenance requirements
Practical skills including:
- Plumbing tools - Identifying and using a variety of hand tools to install and maintain plumbing systems
- Copper pipe work - Forming bends, soldering and connecting to various appliances
- Steel pipe work - Forming bends, cutting threads and installing a radiator
- Plastic pipe work - Including guttering, waste pipes and pressure pipe
- Maintenance - Repairing a variety of taps and valves
- You will need to have gained a minimum of 4 GCSEs at grade A*- E in English and Maths or an equivalent qualification.
- In addition, you must have good attendance and attainment reports from your previous school or college.
- You will also need to successfully pass a college aptitude test and show enthusiasm and motivation to join the programme.
The theory sessions provide you with new technical concepts and safe working practices and the practical sessions provide an opportunity for hands on experience.
The practical sessions are assessed throughout the year. Theory exams are taken at stages throughout the year.
You will be required to purchase safety boots and two A4 ring binder folders for the programme, together with text books in the first term.
On successful completion of the programme, students can progress onto Level 2 Plumbing Studies or an Apprenticeship, provided you have gained full-time employment in the plumbing industry.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Eastleigh College directly.