Applied ICT (Single Award) A Level (OCR) at Tower Hamlets College
Students take this course as part of the normal AS level package. The applied A level is graded in the same way as ordinary A levels and has the same points score for university. There is more coursework assessment in this A level.
In the first year of the course you will use the Microsoft Office suite of programs and develop your skills in producing solutions to problems. You also learn how to use Macromedia Dreamweaver to build websites. You study how IT is used by businesses and other organisations. Two thirds of the marks are based on coursework and the remaining one third is a case study based exam. Two lessons a week are in computer networked classrooms and the remaining lesson is taught in an ordinary classroom with an interactive whiteboard.
In the second year the students develop their problem solving skills by learning the more advanced features of EXCEL and ACCESS. They design and build complete solutions to real life problems using spreadsheets and databases. Two units are assessed using coursework for the above packages. The third unit is an externally set assessment which requires students to work as part of a team to produce a set of products using any software they wish.
- AS Using ICT to communicate
- AS How organisations use ICT
- AS ICT solutions for individuals and society
- You must have at least 5 GCSEs grades A*-C including English and Maths producing an average point score of 42 and at least one B grade in a written subject.
- Entry is also subject to interview and satisfactory reference
- Internship, apprenticeship or employment. Many of those choosing not to go to University decide to take up an Internship, Advanced Level Apprenticeship or employment, and we have an excellent track record of preparing and placing students with companies such as KPMG, XL Insurance, RBS, Barclays, BAML and others
- University to study a wide range of ICT and non-ICT related subjects. Most students from this programme choose to progress to University to degrees in a wide range of subjects such as in Humanities, ICT & Computing etc.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Tower Hamlets College directly.