Horticulture Advanced Diploma Level 3 at Capel Manor College
This programme has been designed for you if you have discovered a passion for horticulture and are aiming to change or develop your career in this vibrant, creative and diverse industry. It will provide you with a firm understanding of the core horticultural skills.
- maintenance and establishment of trees ornamental plants, turf and landscapes
- plant and soil science
- horticultural machinery
- research skills
- up to 150 hours work experience with an employer
- how the industry works and career opportunities.
You will develop specialist knowledge in some of the following:
- fruit and vegetable production
- hard landscaping and construction
- garden design, plant selection and garden history
- research skills.
You will need at least one of the following:
- at least 5 GCSEs at grades A* to C including English, maths and a science related subject
- an overall Distinction in a Gardening and Commercial Landscaping Diploma (Level 2) or equivalent
- relevant prior learning or experience gained in an appropriate professional environment will be considered
- you will be encouraged to attend our Summer School.
You will be asked to attend an interview to explore your interests, experience and ambitions and complete an initial assessment so that we can help you study. References are also considered.
We want all of our students to maximise their personal development and prospects for employment or further study. While on your course you will continue to build skills relevant to work and study on our Skills Development programmes, which may include English, maths or computer skills.
Successful completion of this course will enable you to progress to:
- a Horticulture Extended Advanced Diploma (Level 3)
- a Kew Diploma, Botanical Garden Traineeship, RHS Diploma (Level 3) or the Historic and Botanic Garden Training Programme
- our Foundation Degree in Garden Design and Plantsmanship
- employment in the horticulture industry, opportunities include: starting your own business, scientific researcher or developer, head gardener, social and therapeutic horticulture specialist, industry teacher or lecturer, industry journalist, nursery manager or producer, landscape designer, project manager specialising in gardening projects.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Capel Manor College directly.