Beauty Therapy Treatments Level 3 Diploma at Truro and Penwith College
This qualification includes all the required elements to work effectively as a beauty therapist including: providing body massage; face and body electrotherapy; health and safety; client care and contributing to the effective running of the business. You will also have the opportunity to develop your understanding and skills further by undertaking a number of optional units which include: Individual Permanent Lashes, Micro-dermabrasion and Stone Therapy.
You will also develop a range of technical skills enabling you to prepare the skin and apply a variety of beauty therapy products and electrical equipment using different techniques. You will also develop interpersonal skills that will assist you to communicate effectively with clients.
This one year course is mainly a practical course using a variety of teaching methods including discussions, demonstrations and presentations. You will work on your own, in pairs and small groups practicing techniques within a realistic working environment in brand new, well equipped, purpose built salons, overlooking the beautiful Mounts Bay and St Michaels Mount.
This qualification allows you to gather evidence in a realistic working environment or real working environment without the need for fee paying clients.
Since the start of Beauty Therapy at Penwith College, four Level 3 students have been successfully selected by Steiner to embark in a career on the cruise ships. Three of our Level 3 students have also represented the College in the National World Skills Challenge competition and, to date, three Gold medals have been achieved.
VRQ/NVQ Level 2 qualification in a relevant subject area.
You will normally also have four GCSEs at grade D and above. If you do not have grade Cs in maths and English you will need to retake these at College*. (*under 19s only).
Your achievement in this qualification is dependent upon excellent attendance, punctuality and effort. You will study in a friendly atmosphere, using a variety of assessment methods:
1. Most of the assessment is completed through practical observations of skills and techniques and this will be carried out throughout all of your units, as you continuously strive to work towards a competent level within your treatments.
2. You will be assessed regularly on written theory work that may be conducted within the class or as a homework activity and feedback will be continuously provided on your progress. You also will be assessed regularly on treatment terminology.
3. Your performance will be reviewed during 1:1 sessions with your personal tutor.
4. Online examinations will also be undertaken on each unit throughout your course.
Upon successful completion of the course, you will gain a VRQ Level 3; a professional qualification awarded by VTCT who are the market leaders in beauty and holistic qualifications. This qualification will enable you to prepare for employment as
a beauty therapy professional or gain entry onto university level qualifications such as FdSc in Salon and Spa Management. You will also be eligible to join a professional association and gain insurance as a beauty therapist. Once fully qualified as a beauty
therapist, there are many career opportunities you can enjoy, such as:
- Working in commercial beauty salons/spas/health farms/hotels
- Salon/Spa manager
- Advanced practitioner
- Company trainer
- Workplace trainer/assessor
- Working in a retail concession in a department store
- Working independently in your own salon/self-employed/mobile/home-based settings
- Cruise ships/airline therapist
- College lecturer
We encourage you to practise your treatments away from College where possible and to utilise the online resources provided by the College for guidance. In addition we expect you to conduct your own research during set home study activities in relation to completion of workbooks and assignments. However, we will also offer you opportunities to conduct this research at College.
You will need salon uniform and specific equipment; full advice will be given on these before the start of your course.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Truro and Penwith College directly.