Applied Science at Moseley School and Sixth Form
The new BTEC Nationals in Applied Science combine up-to-date industry knowledge with the right balance of the practical, research and behavioural skills you need to succeed in higher education and in their careers.
TOTAL: 4 UNITS
3 MANDATORY UNITS
1. Principles and Applications of Science I (90 GLH) Written exam - Set and marked by Pearson
2. Practical Scientific Procedures and Techniques (90 GLH) - Set and marked internally
3. Science Investigation Skills (120 GLH) - Set and marked by Pearson
The fourth optional unit (60 GLH), assessed internally, could cover:
Physiology of Human Body Systems
- Human Regulation and Reproduction
- Biological Molecules and Metabolic Pathways
- Genetics and Genetic Engineering
- Diseases and Infections
- Applications of Inorganic Chemistry
- Applications of Organic Chemistry
- Electrical Circuits and their Application
- Astronomy and Space Science
The course will also help develop your employability skills including:
- cognitive and problem-solving skills: use critical thinking, approach non-routine problems applying expert and creative solutions, use systems and technology
- intrapersonal skills: communicating, working collaboratively, negotiating and influencing, self-presentation
- interpersonal skills: self-management, adaptability and resilience, self-monitoring and development.
Core and Additional Science GCSEs grade C or above or BTEC L2 Science Merit or above.
For further information, please contact the course co-ordinator above.
Careers and Higher Education Opportunities
The new BTEC Nationals in Applied Science use a combination of assessment styles to give you confidence. You can apply your knowledge to succeed in the workplace – and have the study skills to continue learning on higher education courses and throughout their career. The range of vocational assessments – both practical and written – mean you can showcase your learning and achievements to best effect when you take your next step, whether that’s supporting applications to higher education courses or potential employers.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Moseley School and Sixth Form directly.