Spanish A level at Highworth Grammar School
1. Development of Spanish society
• Environment; Education; World of work
2. Political and artistic culture in the Spanish speaking world
• Music; Media; Festivals and traditions
3. Immigration and the multi-cultural Spanish society
• Integration and multiculturalism; Economic and social effects of immigration
4. Franco’s dictatorship and transition to Democracy
• Society before and after the dictatorship
Alongside these themes, we will also be studying some works of Spanish literature and film.
You will be expected to attend one lesson a week with the Foreign Language Assistant. You will also be expected to take part in the Year 12 Study Visit to Spain, at a cost of approximately £500.
For Spanish it is highly recommended that you have Grade 6 or above in GCSE Spanish. You should also have grasped the tenses studied at GCSE: the present, the future, the conditional, the imperfect and the preterite. You should enjoy communicating in Spanish and have an interest in Spanish culture.
Unit 1: Listening, reading and translation
• Short tasks testing receptive skills
• (1 hour 50 minutes) 40%
Unit 2: Writing
• Translation and essay writing skills, focussing on two works of Spanish literature and/or film
• (2 hours 40 minutes) 30%
Unit 3: Speaking
• Responding to questions on the above themes and an independent research project
• (Approximately 20 minutes) 30%
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.
Last updated date: 15 January 2018