Sixth Form Level 2 Foundation Year at Nailsea School
The Foundation Year programme has been specifically put together to allow Year 11 students who are not looking to do A Levels, to stay on here at school and develop their skills towards gaining a local apprenticeship, job or higher college course. The programme involves a series of courses which will allow students to build a firm platform in a known, local environment whilst being given help and guidance towards what is the right next steps for them. Unlike the problems associated with applying for positions at 16 years of age, one of the principal goals and merits of this programme is that it demonstrates to both local employers and Colleges that the students who have completed the Foundation Year are among the best trained, most knowledgeable and mature students in the region.
The programme is designed to prepare students for 1 of 4 possible routes, and each student can select the path they feel is right for them as they move through the 1 year course. The 4 routes are:
(a) Employment with training
(b) a local apprenticeship
(c) a college course
(d) continued higher study at Nailsea 6th Form
The programme consists of all of the following courses.
- BTEC Level 2 Diploma in Work Skills – an exciting course designed to prepare students for the world of work either directly or through an apprenticeship, equivalent to 4 GCSEs.
- Level 2 Project—an independent project chosen and designed by the student in a topic that interests them, equivalent to 1 GCSE.
- ICT – completion of the Year 11 half GCSE course up to a full GCSE.
- Re-sit GCSE Maths and English Language to achieve a 4 – if required.
- Day release on to the City of Bristol College Kick Start programme in Bristol to study a choice of apprenticeship or College preparation courses.
- Voluntary work – a weekly placement with a charity or setting of the student’s choice.
- Information, Advice and Guidance tutorials – this will cover enhanced and targeted CV and application letter instruction as well as introductions, visits and interview opportunities for local apprenticeship positions either direct or through the City of Bristol College.
- A work experience placement of at least a week.
The programme also allows for regular parental communication with the school through bespoke parents information evenings and presentations from local companies and colleges.
The qualifications required to join the Foundation Year are a minimum of 4 grade 2 or above at GCSE or equivalent, and the qualities we are looking for from any students wishing to apply are enthusiasm, commitment and maturity.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Nailsea School directly.