Food Production and Cooking Intermediate NVQ Diploma at Derby College
This qualification covers the required skills and knowledge for preparing to work in the hospitality and catering industry. It is designed to meet the needs of learners who work - or want to work - in the industry, with a focus on food production and cooking.
The following areas are covered within this qualification:
- Maintain a safe, hygienic and secure working environment
- Work effectively as part of a hospitality team
- Produce basic fish dishes
- Produce basic meat dishes
- Produce basic poultry dishes
- Produce basic hot sauces
- Produce basic hot and cold desserts
- Maintain an efficient use of food resources
- Maintain an efficient use of resources in the kitchen
Learners will complete the mandatory units, plus the required optional units, to achieve the full qualification.
In addition, you will be working to achieve a grade C GCSE in English or Maths. The course also features work experience and tutorial sessions.
You will need an introductory qualification in food production or relevant work experience. You also need at least a grade D GCSE in English and Maths.
Practical assessments will be ongoing. There are also theory tests and you will build up a portfolio of evidence.
You could progress to an advanced apprenticeship in hospitality and catering subjects or to other qualifications such as the Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Professional Cookery.
This qualification could lead to jobs such as:
- Kitchen assistant
- Kitchen porter
- Fast food service assistant
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Derby College directly.