Applied Business at Wickersley School and Sports College
This subject is offered in Option Block B
Applied Business focuses on four key themes: people, markets, finance and operational delivery. The course aims to teach students a variety of fundamental business and entrepreneurial skills.
- The role of finance in planning an enterprise, analysing and making financial decisions
- How organisations use human, physical and financial resources to achieve goals
- Enterprising behaviour and how it encourages entrepreneurial opportunities.
Learners undertake a programme of assessment which measures their knowledge and understanding of business whilst equipping them with skills to plan and deliver products and services. In addition to the units taken as a part of the Certificate qualification, learners will cover topics such as:
- How managers organise, motivate and lead employees through change to achieve business objectives
- Skills and processes required to develop, present and evaluate a business proposal
- Skills and processes required to develop an e-business proposal for a new business
- The planning, coordination and management of a one-off event to support a business proposal
- The development of a marketing communications mix for a business proposal and a schedule of marketing communications.
The minimum qualification for entry into the Sixth Form is 5 4 grades including Maths and English, although there are specific entry requirements for some of our option subjects.
A student’s suitability for their chosen subjects will also be taken into account, even if they meet the 5 4 grades threshold.
Applicants will need to have a proven record of good or excellent effort and attendance in Year 11 in order to qualify for a place, verified by a suitable reference.
Level 3 (AS equivalent) Assessment
- Financial Planning and Analysis – 1 externally assessed exam
- Business Dynamics – 1 internally assessed (within school) business portfolio (coursework)
- Entrepreneurial Opportunities- 1 externally assessed business portfolio (coursework)
Level 3 Extended (A2 equivalent) Assessment
- Managing and Leading People – 1 externally assessed exam
- Developing a business proposal – 1 internally assessed (within school) business portfolio (coursework)
- A final piece of externally assessed coursework
This qualification is extremely flexible as it allows students the freedom to go onto higher education or straight into employment. The variety of assessments and approach to learning means students often acquire and abundance of transferable skills that employers look for. Students go on to university or into the job market to pursue careers in Marketing, Events Management and Bookkeeping. The Applied General Certificate compliments a range of other subjects such as Fashion and Sport that students may wish to pursue in higher education.
Please consult our Option Blocks before making your selection.
To find out more about this qualification, contact us at email@example.com.
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.