Building Craft Occupations Level 1 Certificate at Eastleigh College
This programme provides you with an excellent opportunity to gain skills in brickwork, setting out the shape of buildings, carpentry, fixing of guttering and rainwater systems, plastering, painting, wall tiling, simple plaster boarding, block paving, patio slabbing, concreting, drainage, roof tiling, and handling and storing materials and components.
All of your tutors are skilled in each of the trade areas in which you will be taught. They have all worked in the industry as carpenters, joiners, plumbers and bricklayers, as well as supervising construction work onsite.
You will be taught through the completion of practical tasks, formal teaching sessions, practical and theory projects and workbooks.
Level 1 Building Craft Occupations involves seven units including:
- Construction site health and safety
- Handling and storing materials and components
- Fixing construction components
- Mixing construction materials
- How to cut, fix and lay construction materials and components
- Applying finishing materials
- Setting out and positioning the shape of simple buildings and components
There will be 35 hours of construction work experience which can be either organised by the College or by the student if they have an opportunity with either their family or family friend.
- 4 GCSES at Grade A*-E including Maths and English. A successful college interview demonstrating interest and commitment to study, a good school attendance record and a good school or employer reference demonstrated at interview are essential.
- All students without a GCSE at grade A*-C in English or Maths will be required, as a condition of the programme, to undertake either a GCSE or Functional Skills programme. This equals one hour each for English and Maths per week. The level of study will be decided on entrance to the programme.
- Assessment of practical standards will be through standardised practical tasks, with an end of year multi-choice exam.
- At the start of the year you will be given an outline of the topics taught over the year and told when assignments will be due to help you keep on target. Your progress on your programme will be monitored by your tutor and homework will be required, in addition to the work you carry out in college.
- The weekly attendance hours are 16 hours per week, which includes two hours Functional Skills for English and Maths.
- It is essential that both practical and theory assessments are passed in order for students to obtain the full certificate and be entitled to progress further in Eastleigh College.
Completeion of the course will enable you to make an informed choice of which trade area you would like to follow at a higher level.
You may want to consider one of our Level 2 courses such as bricklaying.
This course also offers job opportunities or Apprenticeships in the areas of new build, refurbishment or building maintenance.
Safety boots are mandatory during workshop activities and work clothing is optional. Mobile phones will need to be turn off during all theory and practical sessions.
There will be opportunities to take part in educational site visits.
You will be given contact details of your tutor. Your tutor will require contact details of your next of kin including email addresses for safety purposes.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Eastleigh College directly.